Monday, May 23, 2016

On Film


Two weeks ago I shot film in my beloved and most photogenic NYC for the first time in far too long. My old allegedly repaired Pentax K1000 played me false and jammed halfway through its first and only roll, and try as I might to continue advancing film clearly – audibly - being shredded at every turn of the manual crank, I had to give up and let it go. The old boy is now officially retired and will be kept as an artifact on the order of other relics of the past I can neither deny nor rely upon, but which in their current form are useless and unrewarding, much like my love life.


My Holga 120N, on the other hand, literal piece of junk that it is, 100% barely held together plastic and making no promises, managed to record 12 frames of absolutely indeterminate quality, and not eat the film alive in the process. Hey, when you are accustomed to nothing, or less, you take what you can as small blessings, and rejoice therein. See reference to love life, above.


Parallels to my love life implicit and not to be reiterated further, I love my Holga. I love that its lack of predictability and low maintenance frees both of us from any responsibility for outcomes. It makes waiting for the results both more exciting, and less stressful, full of mystery and magic, and easily managed if they prove unsatisfactory, because hey, what can you expect from an overgrown Pez dispenser pretending it’s a camera? It’s one of those most rare circumstances in my life, the win-win, as elusive and hunted and stunningly beautiful to witness as a snow leopard.


Speaking of rare, photo shops that develop true black and white film have become moreso in recent years. Here in Vermont, my only local options have been to send away shot film to a shop that in turn, turns out, was also sending it away.  Cutting out the middleman, I now go directly to the source – the makers of the very film I prefer to use, Ilford.  I don’t mind at all verging on a testimonial for Ilford when I say that they rock. Prepaid mailers get my rolls to them out west and back to me processed in under a week. It’s a long week, yes, but I have learned patience in these matters as in so many others. 
 

Shooting film is all about patience, resilience and humility, so why should the results be any less so? It’s about being in the right place and waiting the shot out. It’s the opposite of digital shooting, which is more of a show up, shoot first, ask questions later affair. There is always so much to choose from, and erasure costs nothing in terms of personal investment or materials cost. It just feels more arrogant and less serious, as if less were at stake. I know film shooters who may as well be shooting digital. Hundreds of frames and a long sorting process from proof sheets populated with unsalvageable images that really didn’t need to be committed to film. For my part, I like to make use of the pressure of making each shot count, as if it were my one and only shot and I should be grateful for the chance. In fact, if some shoot film as if it were digital, I tend to shoot digital as if it were film, waiting the shot, making it count. In both cases, I take way more shots in my head than I commit to film or file. Every hesitation I am restrained and discerning enough to risk proves itself later, when I have a relatively manageable pool from which to choose my keepers, which happily usually outnumber the delete button victims.


The shots I don’t take are every bit as important as the ones I do. They are how I get to those keepers. I see this more obviously played out with digital because it happens in real time. So often it’s the very last shot I take that turns out to be the one I envisioned, the one I was literally shooting for. By the time I get a roll of film back, I’ve already mentally deleted all the shots I mentally took between the real ones. This is even more the case with Holga, which only allows a dozen chances to get it right. For every shot on the roll returned to me today, the best of which are included in this post, there were dozens I didn’t take, ones I will sometimes look for on film convinced I did take, nowhere to be found. As if each shot has its own past, its memories, everything it was, making it what it is.


Photography is a fascinating art form. It freezes and contains present moments with an immediacy other media can’t quite match, but at its best it also contains a history and suggests a future for that captured moment beyond the frame. Unlike creations of literature and other arts, a photograph not only represents a reality and presents an instant, it also happens in an instant, it is the instant of both happening and creating, preserved forever. The images shown here aren’t perfect. They aren’t even what I set out to capture. But in the end, fuzzy focus and odd lighting included, they are exactly what happened that rainy day at Brooklyn Botanic.


Taking a photograph is like standing on the very precipice of time, where the mundane and the universal meet, where every second counts because it is both unique and fleeting. To remain still, as time itself rushes past, like the eye of a storm, requires incredible poise, and yes, patience. But as I discovered today opening my Ilford mailer like a kid on Christmas morning, finding there, not empty boxes but exactly what I wanted - and how could it be otherwise, when the person you were sends the person you are a gift over distance and time? -  some things are worth the wait.

7 comments:

  1. Many years ago I learnt to develop film. And thoroughly enjoyed it. While having an Everest to climb in the learning stakes.
    These days I am a digital whore, but try (very hard) to step away and live those precious moments as well - without the camera glued to my face.
    And, as you know, I have some prints of your work. And smile at them on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to be able to provide daily smiles, EC! Means the world to me. I learned how to develop film way back in high school, and one of these days when I am perhaps living in an apartment itself larger than a darkroom and can afford such a setup I might just do it myself and reduce the waiting process further. For now, the sendaway option will have to do. And I am totally in agreement about experiencing life without the camera in the way. These days I tend to go out and about (or stay in) with definite themes or subjects to shoot in my immediate or familiar environment. When I am lucky enough to travel anywhere new and exciting and picturesque, the camera stays home and out of it! Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Love all of these shots - they seem so right. And your musings and ponderings add so much to the telling...really really enjoyable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, F! As you know a thing or two about ponderings, I take your enjoyment as high praise!

      Delete
  3. I've been toying with a Holga too, and recently scored a Polaroid at a yard sale. Finding film for that has been a hunt - had to order it online thus far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Been thinking about Polaroid too, but the film thing was a concern. Andre Kertesz did an amazing book of all Polaroid shots. So inspiring!

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Been thinking about Polaroid too, but the film thing was a concern. Andre Kertesz did an amazing book of all Polaroid shots. So inspiring!

      Delete