Wednesday, May 23, 2012

South Street Seaport in Black and White

 
In fulfillment of last week's promise of another post in which images take center stage, here are highlights from the second roll of film I shot on a recent rainy day in New York City.  As you may recall from my last post, I spent the morning at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden trying to protect my Holga camera and myself from a steady rain, results of which you see above. By the time I was back in Manhattan, there was nothing to do but to retreat indoors for lunch at one of my favorite sanctuaries, New Zealand cuisine restaurant Nelson Blue.


I passed the time waiting for the weather to improve with the unbearable sacrifice of consuming three glasses of red wine and a large plate of grilled lamb chops.  To my mixed relief and regret, the rain stopped.


It was still cloudy outside, but I decided to set aside my preference for stark contrasts of black and white in high sun and go for as many shades of gray as I could find. Looking up....


...and looking down. Then I headed over from the sidestreets to the waterfront itself and was thrilled to find a picturesque sailing vessel seemingly waiting for me to arrive and take its picture.


First the wide shot....


...then the profile.  Ships at the seaport are not necessarily the most original of subjects, but I for one will never tire of them.  At this point the rain returned in the form of a misty drizzle highly appropriate to such a romantic maritime setting.


I was just getting ready to dash to the subway before the next downpour when I spotted this view and could not resist.


And then, another. I don't know what it is about a rainy day when there are few or no people around - inanimate objects seem to be having silent conversations only I can hear.


The best part of this photo for me is the sign reading "Prohibited on Pier : Bicycles - Rollerblades - Skateboards." Even better if the other two outlaws had somehow also been in the frame!  I hope you all enjoyed this little vacation slideshow. I'll be back next week with news about some new items I'll be offering for sale, and the redesigned image shop where you'll be able to find them! Until then, wishing everyone a good week and for those of you in the U.S., a long, relaxing, fun Memorial Day Weekend.

18 comments:

  1. Gabriella, what a beautiful set of images. Thanks for sharing them. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Luis - I always hesitate to take too much credit for good shots of such ridiculously picturesque settings as these! I'm just happy I was there. Many thanks for your kind words, my friend, and hope all is well with you also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Florian - thank you! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh and aaaah. I loved the three glasses of red wine, and am suitably impressed that you retained your photographic skills.
    I loved the ship, and the looking up and looking down, but perhaps my favourite is the outlaw bicycle on the pier.
    Thank you. A post from you is always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC - Don't want to tempt that slippery slope, but sometimes my photographic skills IMPROVE after a glass of wine or two! And of course, there were the lamb chops (which also came with a delicious side of mashed potatoes and peas!) to prevent the wine from going right to my head. The outlaw bicycle is my favorite too! And the last shot of the roll, as so often happens. All the best to you!

      Delete
  5. bravo! looking up and down...wow, and the first photo; i feel as if i could enter that image, very inviting x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Renilde. I too like the invitation of that first photo. It's great when a photo can convey such a surrounding sense of place, when you are working within a two dimensional medium. As if I did more than record the visual effect of the scene - I somehow captured the feeling of being there too. Have a great weekend, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You found the soft light that you'd anticipated in your previous post :-) And it sounds as if you had a delightful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, thanks JMG! It does seem that when I'm on vacation I somehow give myself permission to spend a day just freely shooting, the way I almost never do during my regular routine at home. I always forget how good it feels for that to be my priority, just to enjoy, observe and absorb my surroundings and make beautiful photographs from that experience. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

      Delete
  8. Fabulous photos, G! Nothing like black and white film to capture the reality that lies beyond the surface of things! Thanks for sharing your ventures! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, P! It's true about black and white - somehow by removing the color you add some indefinable quality to an image - or perhaps simply uncover what is already there! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  9. Many thanks, Alexiev. I love black and white too! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. -) hier i am, i wanted to say that in the last month i lost a many news of my blog friends because i was completely in crises without inspirations, but all will came again, tomorrow is the first juni and will be better i'm sure-) well now let me take a look on you news and your new pics... Ps: thank so much for your visit today, i will post all the photo you saw again -) because i have had a mistake with publishing them all together... -)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I am so sorry to hear about your crises. For many weeks, I lost news of blog friends also, and I am just now back in the routine of reading and commenting every day. You know that you have my love no matter how great the distance or the break in communication. May was not an easy month for many of us! I agree that June will be better and happier! Much love to you, my dear friend.

      Delete
  11. I loved to be in rainy New York thru you great photos!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I were there right now with you!

      Delete