Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Divided Attention

Divided Attention

This week’s post will of necessity be brief. As my choice of title and images suggest, my mind has lately been going everywhere and nowhere at once, occasionally provoking the sensation of being both bound and lost.  As regular readers of this space will know, I am on the verge of relocating from a city I’ve spent the past ten years living and working in, to a new home in another state and far less urban way of life. Plans for this move continue to shift and develop, with equal contributions from my own will and the whims of fate.  No sooner does one lead materialize and vanish than another appears and demands consideration.

 Every Which Way

At the same time, I have temporarily set aside my creative and business activities as a photographer to focus on the production and marketing of my alpaca fiber creations, which sold well this time last year and promise to do so again, justifying one of the rare instances of my following the money.  It helps that I really really enjoy crocheting.  Below is my newest pair of wrist warmers, available at my etsy shop. I’m hoping the skull and crossbones buttons will prove popular at my next craft market, which will be held Halloween weekend.

 Alpaca Wrist Warmer in Teal Gray and Plum

I also completed a new scarf last week. In a departure from my usual color palette, and possibly a reaction to my last all-black scarf, this piece has no black whatsoever!  I must admit I am not as pleased with this piece as I have been with others. Perhaps my state of mind interfered with the creative process, or perhaps only with my objectivity in assessing my own work.  This piece features some sparkly dragonfly buttons that are sewn together on both sides of the scarf so they will be visible however it is worn. 

 Alpaca Scarf : The Dragonfly
(don't bother looking for this on etsy as it has already found a new home!)
I may be distracted and confused, but at least I’m consistent in my aesthetics. As I was assembling images for this post, I found a few taken some time ago at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden in New York and languishing unused in my files. For some reason they appealed to me and I decided to use them without quite knowing what I would be writing about this week. Then I noticed that they all contained strong directional lines and abstract patterns, which is exactly the state of my mood and mind at the moment, and also seems to translate into the designs I use for my fiber creations! 

 One Step at a Time

Next week I will have more creations to share and more news about where and when I will be moving. Until then, a heartfelt thank you to my followers who have given me such great sympathy and support in all my endeavors these past fourteen months since this blog began. You make it possible to continue this journey with joy and hope for a better future, and this is a rare and cherished gift.

18 comments:

  1. Great images Gabriella. I love your scarfs and the botanical garden picture at the bottom. As for the move, you know how it is, somehow what has to be will come into place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Luis! Nothing worthwhile is ever easy, yes? I try not to be disappointed when one option fails to come through - it just means it wasn't the right thing and my energies are best directed towards the next thing that may or may not work out! That last photo was taken around this time a few years ago - the garden was beautiful in all its autumn colors but I preferred it in black & white! All the best to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful and thought provoking post. The botanical garden picture has such strong, even hard lines but is softened by the drifts of leaves. Softened as I hope the sadness instrinsic to your move will be, softened by the promise of new joy and new life ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love 'One step at a Time', that carpet of leaves, a trail of leaves, luring, 'follow me'.
    My strange imagination colours the leaves in any colour i want; multi coloured-happy, red-passioned, blue-plunged in thought.... this can be done easy because the photo is black and white and very beautiful.

    and yes the path between an idea and it's realisation can take you to all kind of places,literally and figuratively, but you'll get there in the end, hugs, x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for saying so, EC. And here I thought this was a bit slim as posts go. Only thing slim around here! Your good wishes are much appreciated. But to be honest, there is not much sadness intrinsic to this move, it has been something that needed to be done for quite some time now, and I never did put down roots in this town, so the uprooting will be quite painless and ultimately beneficial. I'll leave some good friends behind, yes, but only a few hours travel time, and there are so many ways nowadays to stay in touch. At any rate I have found that true friends can maintain ties across time and distance, and always find each other again. All the best to you, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Wong for saying so! You know how much I admire your work, so this means a lot coming from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Renilde - you have seen in the "step" photo exactly what drew me to the scene in the first place! There is something about stairs that leads the imagination onward and upward...

    I will tell you a secret - that photo was actually taken with color film, but I decided to take the color out, precisely because I wanted the observer to paint the colors themselves with their minds as you have done! Many thanks for seeing my work with such perfect sensitivity and sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. always beautifull, your style is unconfondible (inconfondibile) what can I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mille grazie, Laura! I think that word sounds much better in Italian - either way, I do appreciate the sentiment! All the best to you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Skizo - many thanks for your comment! I have not left you a comment in a long time, but I do visit your blog to see your newest work, which never fails to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gabriella, you see it turns out there is no division between one kind of work and another....the fiber and the photography have the same source....lovely! Best wishes to you as you are in the very active stage of a building a new and different life....our lives are the ultimate creative process! I'll be thinking of you while squirreled away in Wyoming! Cheers, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patti, thank you so much for your good wishes. I think you know a thing or two about building a new life and all the hard work and good faith it takes - along with a healthy dose of dumb luck! All the best to you in Wyoming - can't wait for the report when you return in triumph!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh G/TT - such lovely grids and strong lines. Loved them all! And yes, it's tricky to half-set off down a path (even if only in our heads) and then have to stop, try another path and so on; but if the general destination is there, the road will get you there somehow. Best with it all. F

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Fiona - glad you liked! Thanks for your comment.

    So...we are headed to Vermont again this weekend to look at another place - fingers crossed! - at the very least we may see some real autumn color, which has been delayed this year by all the weird and wild weather. At best, we will come home with a signed lease in hand. And then the real fun begins! Best to you and B.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been so far behind in responding to your posts, although I've been reading them ... I like this work very much, especially the overlays of texture and light in "Divided Attention" and the rhythms of "One Step at a Time" ... which I think works wonderfully in black & white - for me, not because I'm imagining the colors, but because it feels as if there's more emphasis on the forms and textures. And if you're consistent in your aesthetics, maybe that's an internal anchor in a time of change.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, JMG - I really appreciate your going back through the old posts and officially commenting! Your appreciation of my work means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete