Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Moon & Stars

Moon & Stars Scarf : closeup

I am one of those people who follows astrology, but only so far as it seems the best available or most amusing explanation for certain obvious patterns of personality or events that can neither be ignored nor accounted for in any other way.  I don’t let the position of the planets dictate my choices.  For instance, I do not cease all communications, avoid all electronics devices, and cancel all travel arrangements during Mercury retrograde periods. But you can be sure my computer is up to date on its backups, I leave plenty of extra time getting places, and am not at all surprised when important emails fail to reach their destinations or do so only to be completely misunderstood!  Likewise, I’ve never refused someone’s company because of their birth sign. Let’s just say that the older I get, the more it becomes evident that the people whose company has remained an essential and enjoyable part of my life seem to be clustered in a more than random manner around certain select signs, and that those people who share the same sign are quite reliably and entertainingly alike.


 Moon & Stars Scarf : the long view

I’ve always felt an especially strong connection to the activities of the moon.  No, I am not a Pisces. Or a Cancer! But as a woman, I suppose I have a predisposition to affinity for any entity that experiences dramatic cycles of light and dark, sometimes hiding behind clouds, sometimes illuminating entire landscapes, sometimes rising high, sometimes sinking low, one day a full circle, one day a mere sliver, and then, when seemingly nothing at all, in a phase known as “in the dark of the moon,” actually on the verge of being “new.”  I’m sure there are plenty of non-water sign, non-females out there who would also recognize themselves in that description.  The full moon makes lunatics of us all.  Just ask emergency medical personnel and police officers what happens to their statistics on nights when the moon is full!  So, when I resumed my seasonal crocheting work a week or so ago, it seemed not only fitting but undeniable that my first piece would be an all-black scarf with silver beads, a tribute to both the full and the new moon.

 Crane for the Sept 27th New Moon

No one talks much about the new moon. For many years now, on the day of the new moon, I’ve indulged in the monthly ritual of writing down a few positive intentions and expectations for the upcoming four weeks. I fold the sheet of paper into an origami crane (which basic creature has proven the limit of my ancient art of paper folding expertise) and then to the best of my ability remain both open to, and active in the making of, any opportunity to fulfill these wishes. At the end of the four weeks, right before the next new moon, I unfold the crane, review how much closer I got to realizing my hopes and dreams, think about what needs to change, and write up another list to be folded into a new crane. Sometimes I haven’t accomplished anything. Sometimes I’ve actually encountered losses and setbacks. But more often than not I find that the simple act of writing down what I wanted and needed, and dare I say deserved, helped focus my efforts towards making some kind of progress. It’s a beautiful exercise.

Three New Wrist Warmers

At the last new moon, one of my goals was to make a good start on new crocheting projects, looking ahead to the weather getting colder and the holidays getting closer. At the time of the new moon this morning, I had one scarf and three pairs of new wrist warmers completed. I’ll be adding all of these items to my etsy shop, which is the exclusive online seller of my handmade fiber creations. The new wrist warmers are a bit of a departure, as I have finally learned how to make horizontal stripes and still keep a shape that fits snug on the hand.  I am also using a new fiber, still 100% baby alpaca from Peru, but spun in a looser fuzzier style that gives texture variations to the piece.  I also decided to go for a “no-frills” look with no ruffled edges or decorative buttons for those customers who prefer their accessories unadorned.  I’ll be featuring  new pieces here as I complete them. As always, if you are interested in a custom color combination or design, please let me know and I will do what I can to accommodate you. 


 So Many Possibilities... 

It seems, even with repeated examination, life passes by too quickly. For me, taking time every four weeks to think about what lies ahead, and how I would like to emerge on the other side, slows time down for just a moment, and makes clear to the Universe that I understand perhaps every moment can’t be of great value in terms of one’s personal or professional progress, but I for one am going to treat every moment as if it had that potential. I will not be caught looking away when the smallest of moments decides to reveal the greatest of rewards. These postings also help in that regard, enabling me not just to record my weekly progress but to give myself a chance to recognize and make sense of it. To have such wonderful folks as yourselves following me and giving me even greater and often wiser perspective is a gift beyond measure. Many thanks to you all, and to all a Happy New Moon.  Don’t forget to make a wish.

23 comments:

  1. Thank you Gabriella. We just don't ever know. I will do make a a wish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Luis - I'll check back with you around October 25th and see how it turned out! Of course, the nice thing about moon wishes is that you can always roll them over to the next cycle. I think of them more as stuff I'm working on that is mostly up to me to make happen, but might need a little outside help along the way. My only real wish, over which I have least control, but always comes first, is the health and happiness of loved ones, old and new, near and far. All the best to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Work! And very thoughtful rumination on time and the efficacy of making even a few intentions concrete both in writing and in a form that denotes hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey SJS - I'm pretty cynical usually about all those techniques designed to attract good things, but in this case I really do find great comfort and even some tangible results in this monthly ritual of mine. I can't be sure that voicing your desires to the cosmos actually "works," but it doesn't hurt either! Plus making cranes is kinda fun! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that scarf. And your new moon idea. And the origami crane too. I am an endless list maker and always ensure that there is something easy on the list so that no matter how insane my world gets I can always cross something off, and feel I have achieved something.
    And yes, on the phone at Lifeline we notice th full moon as well. Beautiful but unsettling.
    As always a lovely post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the scarf too, and the scarf photo. A two-fer. I used to think that affirmations were silly, but one day I stumbled upon a ceremony, a day-long chant for world peace. It seemed pointless to me, but something one of the speakers said prior to the singing really stuck with me. She said that real prayer is about hope, and hope is about envisioning, and few things come into being unless someone envisions them first. You probably didn't envision how your moon scarf (or a lot of other things)would work out when you first had the intent to create them, but the intent translated into something real that is a product of your interaction with the world at a particular time and place. It's interesting to me that some equally weighted intentions manifest themselves over time, and some don't. The universe affords some things and not others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many talents you have! Crocheting, photography, writing...how wonderful to be so blessed...and committed to fine tuning these things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TT/G - love the title of the photo of the scarf - the long view - nice play on ideas and words. But tis true whilst the day to day things seem so important they are part of the long view and the moon helps us to break that long view into more manageable chunks. Also liked the crane - both the writing stuff down and unfolding it to see how life went; but also its link to the International Peace Day. Go well with your warmers - I know Fiona and her friend Sue love their's though we are heading into our Spring-Summer so may not be needed for a while. Make well, go well and sell heaps. B

    ReplyDelete
  9. EC - that's the nice thing about lists, isn't it? So often I reach the end of the day with the feeling I have not done enough (don't we all?), but if I have the evidence of items crossed off a list, I realize I actually accomplished quite a lot! Anything that can keep us from being too hard on ourselves...all the best to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SJS - it took a while for me to accept that even if some intentions are "supported" and others are not, it does not mean my envisionings have been a waste of time somehow because the realizations are random or beyond my control. I'm not one to be discouraged by what turns out to be "false hope." Hope can be a great motivator as soon as you disengage yourself from the end result as the only important thing. Back to the whole journey vs. results concept! Thank for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TB - thanks so much! don't worry, I make up for these three modest talents by not being very gifted at all in almost every other way! But three is enough for me - just enough to give me different creative outlets to take the pressure off just one, and not so many I get scattered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barry, I'm so glad you caught all the implications of the scarf photo title! Actually, you found some I had not fully realized! And speaking of affirmations, I think your "make well, go well, and sell heaps" might be my new mantra! Many thanks, and back at you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi G/TT - I am beginning to pay more attention to the moon and enjoy its phases and words written about it, and I love your ritual around a new moon. Much better than a once-a-year resolution thing; I think sometimes if we are mindful about something it means we notice and take up opportunities for it to be realised that we might otherwise have missed. Not sure where that fits on the "actualisation" type scale but I am sure your monthly dreams/hopes/wishes/plans list is part of the process of realisation. Thanks for sharing - I really enjoyed this read!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Fiona! I agree completely with what you said about mindfulness vs actualisation. People tend to want quick fixes and immediate tangible results and can take even the best of realisation methods and make them into silly gimmicks that sell self-help books. It's all about process for me, and most processes take a slow or circuitous route, sometimes one that can't be fully perceived or appreciated until you've gone quite a long way! So it helps for me to break it into smaller bits. I think again of those tunneling insects you featured in a recent post! I'm sure they only look ahead to the next turn in the squiggle! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yeah....what is the moon in the women lives?!!!!
    I´m sure about the influences of the moon in our routine and inspirations.
    Good to know you´re creating beautiful new things in this period.
    Enjoy it!!!

    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed this reading too..
    I look at the full moon with a certain respect and yes, why not mention this, have a talk with
    him/her.. And in a way feel a comfort!!
    Like everybody is saying.. you are the most
    interesting writer and you are poly-talented woman!!!

    Many hugs from me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Crissant! Your comments always make me happy. I hope all is going well with you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Monika! I am glad you enjoyed this post. I am also glad that I am not the only one who has conversations with the moon! We must all look so small and our problems and egos so minor from that great height! I send you a warm embrace, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Moon and stars, they never loose their magic and beauty, i remember being a child walking home with my mother on a starry night, how i looked up and was so overwhelmed that i became a bit dizzy. I have been looking up at the moon and stars ever since and the amazement is always there.

    love to see you being busy and creative as ever and your crane ritual is beautiful and practical at the same time, there is a bit of magic in it too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Renilde for your kind and wise words! It's so good to know that there are some of us who never outgrow the amazement of looking up into the night sky! There is magic everywhere, as long as one has the eyes to see it and the heart to embrace it. May you always be that same child made dizzy by the beauty of the moon and stars! Have a great weekend, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Making many wishes, G!! I love your method of focusing on positive intentions and expectations. You've reminded me that it takes some effort to make life happen for us instead of to us.

    I can always count on you for inspiration :)

    Safe journeys to you and B this weekend!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Btw... your Moon & Stars scarf is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Douglas - glad I could be an inspiration! I'm writing this from atop Killington mountain with a breathtaking view from the window and a powerful thirst about to be satisfied by some good local Vermont brew - talk about being inspired! Will come home with a full report. Thanks for the compliment on the scarf! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete