Sunday, July 3, 2011

Red (White and Blue)

Fireworks

Here in the States tomorrow is Independence Day, the celebration of which includes fireworks, food and a lot of flag waving. In honor of the holiday, I offer you my own renditions of these three traditional items, beginning with some natural fireworks (to me the best kind) above.  Followed by food:

 Slice of Life

And last but not least, a waving flag:

 Stars and Stripes

These three images were recently submitted, along with the one below, which was the one to be accepted, for a show called “Red” now on display in the Inside Out Gallery in Davis Square in Somerville. 

 Red Handed

I recently took some photos in Davis Square to give you a better idea of what this unique little gallery space is all about.


Inside Out occupies the front windows of the CVS Drugstore in the heart of Davis Square and offers a new theme-based selection of work every month. As you can see, many people pass by these windows at all hours of the day and night at the neighborhood’s busiest intersection.


My work hangs next to another photographer with an eerily similar take on the “Red” theme we were asked to follow. It is a small show of around 12 pieces by various artists in different media, and I am pleased to be among such good works.

On July 15th and 16th, Davis Square is host to one of the city’s biggest annual outdoor art events, Artbeat. Every year the vendors and entertainers represent a specific theme, and this year’s was RED. I am happy to be a part of the event, which is a celebration of the arts as something not only to be found in a museum. The group behind all these endeavors, the Somerville Arts Council, strives to put art in public places, and put artists to work in community projects. They do wonderful work all year round, but Artbeat is their big event, taking over Davis Square and with several other performance spaces around the area.


If you are in the area, please do come check out this wonderful summer happening. This week, as everyone else returns to work after their long holiday weekend, Brian and I will be traveling down to Provincetown on Cape Cod to enjoy one of the best reasons for living in the Northeast: access to the ocean. I'll be back soon with a new post and new photos to share -- and hopefully a nice tan!  Thank you to all my readers. Enjoy the summer! And for my friends now in the dead of the winter, enjoy the comforts of cosy indoor living. Our roles will be reversed soon enough!

24 comments:

  1. You are so right about the natural fireworks being the best (though I ooh and aah at the others too). Congratulations on having 'Red Handed' accepted. It is a truly effective photo, though for reasons I haven't yet pinned down I find it a little disturbing too. Enjoy your time at Cape Cod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, EC! There is definitely something a little creepy about "Red Handed," even for me, and I know it's just a picture of my own hand in front of a sunlit red curtain! It has this air of menace, like certain horror movies in which the evil invader is seen only as a shadow on the wall coming closer...that sort of subtle image always unsettles me much more than obvious mayhem! Thanks for visiting - have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Red Handed! What a wonderful image. Thank you for sharing all these great images with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd visit if I could but it's too far from Australia. The red is inspirational, all that heat and energy. Thanks Two Tigers and congratulations on such a wonderful display of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too,i love Red Handed. Very nice project.
    And the ocean, oh dear how wonderful, have a great time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabriella.
    I can understand you enthusiasm for being selected among other artists for the theme "Red"!!
    Enjoy your summer at Cape Cod!!!!
    With love (as always)...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Luis! I think I may have said here before that this was not an image that particularly pleased me when I first saw it, but it seems other people are seeing something in it that I did not. I guess I am not as objective with my own work as I thought! Thanks for your comment, my friend. I'm sure DC is a happening town today! Enjoy your first July 4th as an official citizen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elisabeth, I agree with you about the color red - it has so much energy and emotion, running the whole gamut from passionate love to passionate hate, with fire, blood, birds, fruits and flowers along the way! A seemingly trite theme but with so much possibility! Many thanks, E - I will even forgive you not making the trip from Oz!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Renilde, I knew you would understand the allure of a little oceanside holiday! I will be looking at the beach and its creatures differently after seeing your recent shell paintings, so beautiful! I am glad you liked Red Handed. I am starting to like it a lot more now too! Thank you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monika - yes, the Red theme was hard to resist! I mostly photograph black and white, but when I do choose color, there is always some red in it. I guess we fire signs are just naturally attracted to strong fiery colors! But then we also need the water to cool us off and give our spirits some rest for a while. Brian and I will only be in Provincetown for a few days, alas. Then it is back home and back to work! Much love to you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gabriella,
    very well thought out the first three pictures!
    represent well this time!

    I am happy with your participation in exhibitions of photography; and also, the trip to the coast of you! I imagine the inspiration that will be for your photos!

    A big and warm hug, of our winter here!
    baci

    ReplyDelete
  12. Denise, my dear, thank you for appreciating my little photographic tribute to the holiday! I said once that I do not take good pictures when I am traveling, but I am bringing my camera today anyway as we leave for the coast, so you will soon see if I found inspiration there! A warm hug to you too, from the heart and heat of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great collection. I have to say that Red Handed is my favourite from among them. Fine post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. TT- I agree with so many others - Re Handed is a stunning piece. And I love the gallery in window concept - F and I have been attempting to interest other artists in that idea in our home town - not there yrt - though we do have mini exhibitions in the display cases in our Library. Keep up the good creativity. B

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi G/TT - have a fab break at the beach! I am sitting here rugged up (wore my mittens last week thank you!) and dreaming of a sunny beach...enjoy! I loved all the red shots which is odd as I don't as a rule 'do' red! They are all full of energy and vibrancy. I think fireworks and red-handed are my faves. Go well F

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Dave - good to see you here! Many thanks for your comment. I hope someone who passes the window and has some money to spend likes Red Handed as much as you and others here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Barry - isn't the window gallery a great idea? I love that it brings art into a public space, right onto your own street that you walk on every day on the way to work or dinner, etc - and that this means people who would not usually pop into a traditional gallery will be able to see it. Art should be everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fiona - leaving in an hour, so must shut down this laptop soon and pack some beach clothes! Just wanted to say thanks for your comment. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey G!! Wonderful to see the *Red* theme you've got going on!! Once again, beautiful work. I'm sending good vibes to you for the festival and you & Mr B have a lovely time on Cape Cod... I'm making my way there sometime!! Best - D.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Gabriella,
    Beautiful, beautiful!
    I love your photos! I love red.
    Congratulations! The exhibition looks really nice, i would like to be around and see it closer.
    Send you kisses and hugs! And thank you for your words of support.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey D - I'm writing this reply from Ptown and yes, thank you for the good vibes because we are having a wonderful time! You would love it here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much Criss! I'm sending you kisses too. It's so good that in this blog I can show you things happening in my life -- "next best thing to being there" -- but it would be great to really have you nearby! All the best to you, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the theme of that exhibit, that would be so great to see. Congratulations on being a part of it! I love red.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks, TB - I almost always shoot black and white but when I do make an exception, red seems to be one of my favorites too! It's a great theme for the show and for an outdoor market traditionally held at the height of summer, and often on one of its hottest days! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete