Monday, April 4, 2011

Old and New


oppressed by paperwork

As I write this it's a rainy spring day with mild temperatures and also what would have been my grandmother's 117th birthday had she managed to live past 91. It's not surprising that I am pondering themes of old and new and how one gives way to another and nothing is ever really gone, simply waiting its time and manner of return. But alas, as the big Open Studios Weekend fast approaches, I find myself oppressed by paperwork, folders full of lists of details, and piles of supplies that need attention, so this will be very far indeed from a long well-crafted and well-considered post. And I apologize ahead of time if in the weeks ahead I stop visiting your blogs with my customary regularity and length of commentary!


 new look courtesy of an old eye

I’ve been so distracted lately I didn't even notice that the battery in my digital camera had died. I had to resort to taking photos yesterday in the studio with the small camera embedded in the lid of my laptop, an old friend I've been neglecting, but one that first introduced me a few years ago to the technology that allows self-conscious subjects such as myself to take self-portraits in privacy and with the benefit of a delete button near at hand.  As self-portraits will be a new interest of mine, this seemed an appropriate circling back to what now seems like the first uncertain beginnings of this initiative. This photo was meant to show off the new business card I designed to better reflect my  identity and activities as a photographer. I’m also in the process of creating a more elaborate and informative brochure for targeted mailings and to offer in my studio. I’ll be spending a lot of time in studio these next four weeks, printing up selected images for matting and framing and setting up my space to function as close to a small gallery with a solo show as possible.

 in miniature

This is a little sample of how I work and why I am drowning in paper. When conceiving of interior design such as a room arrangement or wall hangings, I need to see things spread out physically in front of me, not only as a break from the computer screen but because it's the only way I can project to the final appearance. I have decided for SOS to keep it simple, no more than fifteen images in 11 x 14 frames hanging on the wall in thematically or visually connected groupings, no smaller mounts on display or for sale, no notecards, no alpaca products, as I might do for a market. I am taking the pressure off myself to think of this weekend as an opportunity to make sales. I just want to have my work seen, make some good contacts and get used to seeing my work on a wall in a public place!

 Eye of the Storm

Speaking of galleries, in other news, it looks like, in addition to one of my photos, which I will identify as soon as I am certain of my final choice, appearing in the Artists Choice exhibit at the Somerville Museum mentioned before in this space, I will also have a piece (see image above) hanging at the Nave Gallery in a show featuring photographs taken with toy cameras. It does feel as if some great cosmic wheel has come unstuck. In a very short period I will have two works on display in gallery spaces, and a whole wall full of the results of my best efforts these past months being enjoyed by the hundreds of people we expect to be passing through the building during SOS weekend. For updated information on all my activities, please see the new NEWS tab at the top of this page. In honor of the season of renewal I’ve done some clearing and cleaning up of my blog and, not to belabor the metaphor, planted some new seeds in the way of stand-alone pages you can find by clicking on the tabs below my header. In optimistic anticipation of new people being directed to my blog address, and for lack of a website of my own, I want this space to contain in an easily and always accessible form any information the curious might be seeking, from my background to my current works to my upcoming activities, above and beyond what I happen to be concerned about in my weekly blog posting on the front page. Please take some time to check out these new pages. I especially hope to update the NEWS section whenever I have something professionally newsworthy to share, which I hope will be often!

 keeping an eye on you!

In the image above, I was attempting to take a fun picture making use of a roll of linen tape, which will become my best friend in the weeks ahead as I focus on mounting my photographs. I discarded the one in which I am being hanged by the neck, complete with protruding tongue. It could be the number nine, which has no particular significance, or the letter g, which has a little more, or one of those commas used to convey a winking eye. Many thanks to all of you for following me, and rest assured, even if I don't comment on your blogs, I'm keeping at least one eye on you!





26 comments:

  1. I feel a positive vibe in this post as compared to your previous post and I am really glad to see that. Good to see those new pages something which I have been wanting to do too for a long time too lets see if i can do that this week:). I wish you all the success in all your endeavors and hope you get lots of sales. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post is really inspiring !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Narayan! I've definitely turned a corner in terms of my previous negative mood! The tabs feature has been around a while and I had noticed it popping up on blogs here and there but was worried it would be too complicated to execute - it isn't hard at all once you get the hang of it, and it does let you put so much more content into the blog setting and give people a more well-rounded idea of who you are! Go for it! Have a great week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caio, caro! Inspiring is a good thing! You always inspire me too. I may be silent for a while, but please know I'm still following you, I'm just going to sit back for a few weeks and let other people tell you how great you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. Thank you Gabriella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should be getting ready to go to the pool, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to read your new post. And am so pleased I did. Fingers and toes crossed that this week continues to be positive and that sales hit new highs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, thank YOU, Luis! I'm glad you enjoyed. I feel I didn't put my usual effort into it, but at least I had good news to share this time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear EC! I do think I'm on a positive trend now that the winter is (almost) over. Now turn off the computer and get to the pool! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful update, Gabriella, and I love the added pages. Is your email address included anywhere, or did I miss it? You have so much to offer; it might come in handy when someone wants to get in touch. In the meantime, my thanks for all you do, and I wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, William, your good wishes mean a lot to me! Also thanks for reminding me that I need to put my email address somewhere prominent. It was in my Blogger profile, but I removed the direct link to that, so getting to it now requires a bit of a roundabout online journey, and those are famous for inducing attention deficit disorders! All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I can see and read you're very busy. Your blog looks very good, clear and well. I wish you succes,succes,succes!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  12. :-) yes this post it's great, it is so intresting all about you my dear :-) thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dear Gabriella,
    I am glad to find you in such positive activity.
    I send you my best wishes for a great success at the exhibition..
    Enjoy!

    Hugs
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  14. Renilde, Laura and Monica - how can I not succeed with such a trio of beautiful strong talented women wishing me well? You are like my three graces! Thank you so much for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You go Girl! Things are happening for you, which is wonderful! Buckle up, it might be a wild ride!!! Cheers and bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Patti, I may crave peace and quiet from time to time, but wild rides are my favorite kind! Thanks as always for your unwavering sympathy and support, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful post! It's funny because I was doing a little math in my head and figured out that my grandmother would be turning 101 next Sunday. Right before I read your post. :)
    Congrats and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey James! Thanks for stopping by. That is interesting about your grandmother! Those great old ladies never really die, they just keep having posthumous birthdays! All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. G/TT - Where to begin? I love the new look - the softer terracotta red and the tabs work great. I love what they offer in terms of an intro to you when somebody new lands (don't have to scroll thru 7 000 posts). You're also really busy and that's great. I'll keep an eye on things and keep sending you positive vibes form this end of the earth! Go well F

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Fiona! And I do have you to thank, because the simply elegant results of recent changes to your blog and the appearance of your new website were my main inspiration to do a little spring cleaning here! I'm glad you approve! It really is important to think of someone new arriving and wanting some basic information. I kept thinking, what if the post currently up happens to be about pizza, or they catch me on one of my ranting or moping days? Is that really how I want to make a first impression?

    Keep sending those good vibes, my dear F, and I will respond in kind.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post, inspiring, a very positive vibe it has. But then again all your posts have that. Great photo's. i especially love the 'keeping an eye on you' photo. And such a beautiful eye(s) it is my friend.
    Oh how i wish i could be there, enjoyoing your work for real.
    I wish you lots of succes dear Gabriella!
    Hugs and kisses......

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Momo it's always good to read your comments. I'm glad I can put forth a positive inspiring vibe - I am not always so full of confidence and good news! There are bad days and good days, such is life. Today Brian dropped off his painting at the museum, and Saturday I will drop off a framed photograph. It has not been an easy road, but we are still on the journey looking forward! Hugs and kisses...

    ReplyDelete
  23. :D Keeping and eye on you also, always.
    Good luck, keep yourself busy, keep your self doing what you like,,yes even when such a thing impplies to do a bunch of many other things we dont like. Your pictures in public, I think it is necessary to be brave in order to take that step. But despite it all I am sure everything will be alright. Dont forget there are always people eager to leave their tongues release all their frustrationa in form of frogs and snakes (my own way to try to give a not so hateful name, to hateful intentions and words) Dont worry if you dont have all the time good news to share, or all the positive vibe of the world, any new from you is good as it means you are there and alive, and we, always dispposed to hear and understand, always. We are humans, we are humble human beings with a big mountain of emotions lying there inside our minds and our hearts. Sometimes it is nice I think, to give them a voice in order to be heard, maybe, like a whimsical kid doing a tantrum, all what our emotions need is to be listened, and nothing else.
    Good luck, and all my best wishes for you Gabriella.
    Always the eye of my soul on you :) dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for your comment, dear Alberto! You understand everything so well. It makes me feel happy and strong knowing the eye of such a soul as yours is on me! I wish you all the best, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for whiff of the high octane you were running on, Gabriella. The thrill is contangeous.

    And you sure did pick the eye of storm right. My fav scene from Easy Rider is where they throw their watches away at the start of the movie! The time-piece leaves no time for peace. Watchmakers have a lot to answer for.

    Savour the exhibitions. Life does have its up moments.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Harry, so true what you say about no time for peace with a time-piece nearby! I know people who never wear watches, and I think they are happier for it. Speaking of thrills, I am attending an opening reception tonight, my first with one of my own works on display! Stay tuned for full report...

    ReplyDelete