Monday, April 25, 2011

Hurry up please it's time



Has it really been two weeks since my last post? Better than any words I can offer here, this goes to show how busy life has been lately. As of this writing, I am slowly but surely pulling together the work I intend to display on Somerville Open Studios weekend, which is a mere 5 days away!  

First some catching up. As Brian documented in his last post,  a week ago we both attended the opening reception for the Artists’ Choice preview exhibit at the Somerville Museum. It was a lovely event and such a pleasure to see so much good work by local artists gathered in one place. I am happy with the piece I contributed, “Fantastic,” and even happier to see an entire section dedicated to black and white photography! In tribute, all the photos in this post will be black and white, even if they didn’t start out that way!

 
This week I dropped off my Holga photograph “Eye of the Storm” at the Nave Gallery, a wonderful space in the Clarendon Hill  Presbyterian Church. As this show, called Plastic + Film: An Exhibition of Toy Camera Photography, will be opening during the big weekend, I will probably not be able to see it in its final form until next month when they hold the official reception for the artists. Stay tuned for a report on this happening!


The official figures are in: 391 Somerville artists will be opening the doors of their studios on April 30th and May 1st, making it not only the largest event of its kind in the state, but in the nation. My building, Vernon Street Studios, will represent at least a quarter of that amount.   For anyone in the area, please do stop by. I am in studio 21 at 6 Vernon Street .


This is what my studio looked like a week ago. Here is what it looks like today


In the foreground you can see the box of brochures from the professional printing company Brian and I used in order to save me the aggravation of printing them myself. We are both very pleased with the end result, and would recommend Fleming to anyone in the area in need of printing services that are quick, friendly, efficient and reasonable in cost!


With sincere apologies for such a brief post, I’m afraid I have to get back to work framing and hanging my photos and cleaning and arranging my space. I’ll be back next week with a full report on the event. I do hope I can offer some images of a room full of visitors, and pictures of my wall with empty spaces due to sales!  Meantime, thank you to all my faithful followers whose loyalty has been tested of late with my inattention to their wonderful blogs. I wish you all the best, and will soon have nothing but time to visit you and leave comments.


16 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Love it Gabriella. BTW great images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Luis! Wish you could be here for the big event. I will make sure to document it so my report next week will be as close to being here as possible! Have a great week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear Gabriella,
    How are you?
    I´m happy to know all these news and to see your work in gallery walls.
    You are very talented and creative artist, deserve all good things, i know you´re working hard.
    Wish you all success!!!
    Send you a sweet hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crissant - I am very happy to see you here! You say such nice things, and I can feel your sweet hug from far away. Thank you so much, my dear. It gives me great strength. I send you a hug too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful to see the results of all your hard work. I am excited for you from afar. But tell the buyers that they CANNOT take your artistry away until you have delighted us here on your blog.
    Enjoy the fruits of your labours.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. EC - don't worry, my followers are always the first to see my work! Everything I will be hanging on display has been "previewed" here, and in fact, the feedback I get from folks like yourself has helped me to decide which images "come across." If things go according to plan (hah!) I may even have a day to relax and enjoy how the set-up looks (and photograph it for posterity) before the weekend of madness begins. Thanks so much for visiting me here! All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How inspiring to open up your studio for people to pass through in such a large event also your show at the Nave.

    you have been very busy.

    Congratulations Gabriella.

    ~robert

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Robert! And how kind of you to visit me here when I have been so bad about stopping by your wonderful sites, or rather, visiting silently without leaving a trace! It means a lot, your wishing me well. Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful!! I love to see all your beautiful work framed and ready to be hung, your studio will look great, well done sweetie, congratulations and have a great show! X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Renilde, it's so good to know I have your good will and wishes to draw on during this time! It's all very exciting but also daunting, so I am happy my friends, even from so far away, are behind me! All the best to you too, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope this weekend works out wonderfully for you and I'm so excited to hear all about it!! Fingers crossed, good luck, best wishes and tons of hugs and love from (too)hot and sunny SoCal,

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Tracy! I really appreciate your kind words. With so many well wishes coming my way, how can this weekend NOT work out wonderfully?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gabriella,

    first of all the photo's in this posts are great! I love the photo of you in front of the photos. smiling/ :-) And the last photo with the hand is beautiful....
    It's so great to see your photo's framed and ready to hang.
    I wish you a wonderful weekend with lots of succes.
    Love and xoxo, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Momo - I'm glad you liked the photos here, especially the hand, which I took only last week as a late addition to the group to be displayed, and is also now one of my favorites! As I write this everything is ready and I have a little time to relax and get ready for tomorrow. I will have a full report next week! Thank you so much for sending your good wishes and love, it means so much to me! You have a good weekend too, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gabriella!!!!
    My congratulations to you my dear!
    Great works and great taste

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura - thank you so much for your comment - the big weekend is over and I am still recovering from all the activity and conversations! I will be posting soon with a report! All the best to you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete