Monday, October 4, 2010

Everybody likes a happy ending/new beginning...





I’m happy to report that after my last two posts things got better! First of all, with a clear head and no imposed agendas, I finally produced a beautiful pair of wrist warmers that will serve as the model for a new line I plan to bring to markets this season. Yesterday this first pair received a lot of compliments from passing marketgoers and were even tried on a few times – but that might just be because it was a very cold and windy day and New Englanders have a reputation for stubbornly dressing in summer clothes even when the thermometer reads 57 degrees F!  Never one to follow the masses,  I have no pride when it comes to cold weather, and spent most of the afternoon shivering in multiple layers of fleece, wishing I had worn a hood or a hat, and tempted to “display” all seven of the alpaca scarves I brought by wrapping them around myself!




I owe it to the weather that two women walked away wearing my scarves as their rightful owners and I am 180 dollars richer today!  Or, 180 dollars less poor. These two happen to be favorites of mine, the first because it is the first scarf I created when I made the switch to alpaca fiber a few years ago and decided to make more high-end items with complex designs and luxury materials, including fiber from Peru, Bolivia and Chile and bead embellishments on the fringes. 




The second one you have already seen here, and is the first scarf I created with a painter as inspiration, marking a definite turn of direction for me in how I conceive of these pieces – they are meant to be functional and fashionable, but I also want them to be unique artworks!

 ONWARD AND UPWARD!

I’ll be back later this week with a longer more substantial post and an update on the Guess the Artist scarf, but just wanted to share some good news for a change, while it is still fresh, with my followers, old and new (and welcome to the new ones!) Even Little P can rest easy now that the household is in harmony again. Now, back to crocheting!

18 comments:

  1. Your designs are really beautiful and creative! Love the wrist warmers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Luis - this means a lot coming from you, with such a wonderful artistic eye! I'm very proud of the wrist warmers - I wanted them to be a lot more bold and eccentric than the many others I see out there, so the possibilities are endless! The best part is - I'm having FUN with it! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if TWO great photographers admire my designs, I am having a very happy day indeed! Thanks for your comment, WCW, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those wrist warmers and I'm not even the wrist warmer wearing type...but now that I think of it...I DO live in South Dakota...I should be a wrist warmer wearing type! And really love that soft alpaca scarf, with those tiny, subtle flowers, seen and unseen. So glad to hear you are on an even keel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's unanimous, the wrist warmers are a hit! Yes, that flower scarf is just as soft as it looks -- the woman who now owns it was practically petting it before she bought it! My insistence on using alpaca has a lot to do with how good it feels to work with it, much less wear it! Thanks for the comment, P, and all your continued sympathy and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I`m glad to know you didn´t give up ...and now surprise our eyes with these excellents beauty works!
    Warm hugs, dear Gabriella!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news, beautiful work. And that fourth photo contains an amazing face....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crissant, I too am glad I didn't give up! And especially glad to have met people like you who give me such kind words and continue to inspire me with your own works!

    William, only you would see that face! What a happy accident in the arrangement of the folds - or, one could say, it is no accident, but the true face of the spirit of the scarf making itself known! Thank you so much my friend, for your words, and for your unique perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice..you should take a look at ruths datter on my blog..she has many things you had liked..

    Thanx for sharing!!:))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anita - thank you for visiting me! I went to look at Ruth and you're right, she has things I liked - many thanks for directing me to her! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All your knittings are masterpieces! And little P. has a filled stomach now? I laughed with your
    note, how people by cold weather are still in
    summer clothes, haha..
    Yes, this is remarkable,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Monika! Masterpieces? Hah! You make me blush. Too kind, your words.

    Yes, all is well with the world if Little P has a full bowl of food and a full belly!

    People here are in denial about summer being over - yesterday I was dressed for winter but there were still some people in shorts and flip flops! Crazy...

    Have a good week, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm here through William Michaelian's blog, Gabriela. I'm pleased to meet you and to read about the fortunes of your creative endeavours.

    Here in Melbourne, Australia we are fast putting our woolies aside, but we will of course need them again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I was aways last 10 days... I'm lookong now at your last creations, WOW
    are simply wonderfull

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, Elisabeth, and thanks for the follow - William's blog is an excellent place to come from! I had a brief look at your blog today, and enjoyed it very much. There is not enough good solid thoughtful and well-crafted writing in the blogosphere, so yours will be a welcome addition to my follow list!

    Laura, cara, you are home! Many thanks for visiting me and your kind comments about my creations - you have a lot of catching up to do online after so much time away so I appreciate your spending time with me! Here is a warm hug to welcome you back, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done, congratulations on your sales. You must feel good about making something beautiful that someone loved and bought. Happy crocheting my dear.

    xt

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks T! These two pieces were hard to let go, because I put so much thought and effort into each -- I can even remember the conditions of their creation and where and when I bought the materials -- but in each case, the moment the woman put the scarf on, I could see it belonged to her. Money in pocket aside, this is what makes all these struggles with "marketing" worthwhile, to be able to see someone walk away happy with something I've made - much better than having pieces languish in my studio!

    ReplyDelete